Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Week 9: Breaking Resistance VS Diminishing Returns

Summary of Week 9




Training Goal: Find the right intensity for new workouts
Personal Goal: Getting that 130km bike loop done
Distance Covered: All Activities: 170.78km
Duration: All Activities: 17h54m
Elevation Gain: 1761m

Swim Time:
3h33m
Swim Distance:
7.3km

Bike Time:
10h10min
Bike Distance:
136.98km
Elevation Gain:
1358

*For indoor bike - time measurement only and some (insignificant) distance may be recorded
**Including brick

Run Time:
3h4m
Run Distance:
26.5km
Elevation Gain:
313m
*Including brick

Time Spent Doing Strength/Core/Stability Exercises:
1hr
*Including rest/chit chat

Time Spent Stair Climbing (ascent):
7:00m
Elevation Gain:
90

Unaccounted for
~ foot workout
~ run drills/warm up/cool down
~ Stair descent
~ Some stair ascent
*No garmin record either deliberately or by accident - not pushing button and some other fucked up reason due to my own negligence
**Found another reason this week - forgot to turn off garmin after workout, so data is rubbish and I was forced to discard it



Training Notes for Week 9:

1) Swim was actually ok. Got some rhythm but slow. So I recorded my self swimming and I was shocked at how slow my stroke was. It look as if I am losing speed by gliding too much. Maybe I'm at the most efficient when swimming this way and the reduced energy consumption would be useful for the following bike/run? I hope so. I should try to increase stroke rate to improve. Other than that, at least for PD tri I can hopefully have a good swim. Sighting should be practiced too.




2) Bike was so-so. One of the spin bike session this week require an all out sprint. But I didn't manage to increase my heart rate that much and by the end of the interval heart rate actually dropped. So didn't feel I did that well, but hoping for some positive effect. The bike target workout was 130km loop this week and the final third of the ride was torture. No amount of positive talk helped at that point. There were plenty of self pity though. Compared to my previous effort on the same course, it did not get any easier, i did not get any faster but I probably dealt with it a bit better.

3) Run was terrible for new workout. I quickly realized that the new workout of 1 minute all out sprint up a hill + 2 minute recovery was much harder than i thought. Next time, I should definetely bring my heart rate down before starting the next rep. Long run was terrible too as cumulative effect of previous workout sets in. I was slow and couldn't up my effort. Was thinking about running negative splits but it was a bit too much after half way and decided to just slog it out til the end. Skipped recovery run but did walk around doing stuff.

4) Strength was good for stability and so-so for core. For core, some exercises were harder, but to be fair they were done after a tough bike session. As for stability, less falling down and I'm feeling hips are getting stronger and more stable. Hoping to see some positive outcome.

5) Starting to also monitor elevation just for the sake of it.


Feeling Notes for Week 9:

1) I feel shceduling was a bit tight to make up for the coming weekend sessions. The back to back speed session (Speed Swim & Run Monday + Speed Bike Tuesday) made the Long Wednesday run much harder. To add to that, the run was also done after a speed swim session on the same Wedenesday. I felt fatigued and just toasted after wednesday's workout. This maybe as a result of not doing post workout stretch and poor recovery overall (food, sleep etc.). Had chills on Thursday and didn't feel good about the rest of the week's workout. But pushed through anyway. Friday felt better. Decided to switch Friday's recovery run to Sunday to accomodate more rest and in the end I bailed out on that recovery run. The 130km bike ride was prbably a bit too much and I just wanted to rest more.

2) I feel, this phase is hard because it's something new. Everything sort of went up a notch with regards to intensity and volume. I think the workouts is intended to break through the body's resistance level. I hope once I've gone past this level a break through in performance will occur. At least that's what I am banking on. Therefore I am assuming what's happening is suppose to happen. Such as feeling like shit, sore muscles etc. I'm still not sure if this is the outcome of the training plan or I'm sort of over reaching. Is this the stimulus required for the body to break through the resistance level? Am i biting more than i can chew?  If i keep this up will i burnout or worse get injured? A very thin line between trying to push through the resistance level  OR inadvertantly crossing the point of diminishing return.

3) It's not like I can't move at all after a workout, but I was feeling uncomfortable with noticable annoying soreness coupled with small pains. Discomfort maybe.It is the build phase afterall and so, I just have to trust that this is part of the process. I guess, if it's hurting, it's working.

4) I feel the increase in volume and intensity is starting to take its toll on other aspects of life. I'm more sluggish, tired etc. I was late a few times for work and starting to miss my family. I'm however glad that my wife did not rub it in whenever I get home late because: guilt + nag + tired = angry. It was more: guilt + silence + understanding = I will do much better next time. I wasn't productive as I wanted to be. I wanted to do stuff but I was just feeling lazy. This is not really good and is definately not balanced.

5) I feel the need to record.write more on this balancing training with family stuff to gauge my state of mind once all of this done.

No comments: