Monday, August 08, 2016

Week 10: Rituals and Habits


Summary of Week 10

A photo posted by Hafdzuan (@hafdzuan) on

Training Goal: Swim a fast interval
Personal Goal: Getting that 150km bike loop done
Distance Covered: All Activities: 243.36km
Duration: All Activities: 20h05m
Elevation Gain: 2368m

Swim Time:
3h11m
Swim Distance:
7.1km

Bike Time:
12h09min
Bike Distance:
208.82km
Elevation Gain:
1894 m

*For indoor bike - time measurement only and some (insignificant) distance may be recorded
**Including brick

Run Time:
3h12m
Run Distance:
27.44km
Elevation Gain:
315 m
*Including brick

Time Spent Doing Strength/Core/Stability Exercises:
1h16m
*Including rest/chit chat

Time Spent Stair Climbing (ascent):
17m26s
Elevation Gain:
159

Unaccounted for
~ foot workout
~ run drills/warm up/cool down
~ Stair descent

*No garmin record either deliberately or by accident - not pushing button and some other fucked up reason due to my own negligence
**Found another reason this week - forgot to turn off garmin after workout, so data is rubbish and I was forced to discard it



Training Notes for Week 10:

1) Swim rhtym is there. But after Friday swim session, recoreded data shows at moderate effort the pace was quite slow. But I was comfortable and felt I could hold on to that pace for 4 km probably. So that was good. If I don't go fast, at least I'm saving energy. Other than that, did my first session on Friday after Friday's prayer. Went well but was rushed so have to cut the session short a bit. I don't like shortchanging workout but a compromise or balance rather, have to be made.

2) Bike was ok I guess. I wont say the spin sessions was great, but I can sort of handle a 1 hr 40 minute on that damn thing. Started to read stuff, surf the internet and doing some other stuff to keep me distracted. For the long ride, the target was a 150km bike ride and I've exorcised that demon. The course was tough as expected but glad I made it through. Surprisingly I felt ok after the ride. Testing solid foods and seems like marathonbar sits well in the stomach and yummy too. For the record I had 1.5 L of water, 2 bottles of gatorade, 1 can of redbull, 1 can of coke, 4 salt pills, 1 marathonbar, 1 gel. As scheduled will be doing long ride on the TT bike after August. So that's about 2-3 months of trying to sustain speed. Hope all goes well.

3) Run was ok for the hills. I certainly tried my best to push hard, but I don't know whether it was hard enough. There was no long run this week so it was quite a relaxing running week. Found that VO2 max for running dropped 1 point though but don't think it's a cause for concern.

4) Brick is a weird one. I;ve been looking at run after bike paces. Everything about the course is the same. However, spotted some anomaly in terms of pace. There was one workout wehre the pace was a bit too fast from my usual expected pace. So don't know what's happening there. The positive I can take from it is that, I can somehow, although inadvertantly, reach that pace. Need to further inspect what's going on.

4) Strength was good for stability and so-so for core. For core, some exercises were harder, but to be fair they were done after a tough bike session. As for stability, less falling down and I'm feeling hips are getting stronger and more stable. Hoping to see some positive outcome from all of this.

5) Starting to also monitor elevation just for the sake of it.

Feeling Notes for Week 10:

1) Scheduling was back to normal. But had to move thursday swim to friday. Not ideal, but work stuff came up and i just have to reschedule. It's a good thing I've reserved some time for replacement session in case stuff like this happens. I was just informed that I might have to go away for work in few weeks time. So if that's confirmed, I don't think I will be able to reschedule and sessions might not go as planned or might not be done at all.

2) Training starts to become habitual with little rituals and stuff. I get irritated if small things didn't go the way it's suppose to. Small stuff such as getting zippers caught in something when you are rushing, forgetting my water bottle and especially fucking up recording my workout with the garmin (which i did this week). I just have to have them the way I had them all this while. So I can kind of turn into an asshole which is not good. I read somewhere that triathletes have this sort of obsessive compulsive disorder behaviour or symptoms. I think, yeah. Obsessive. Compulsive yeah. Disorder, no. It's not like we can;t control this habits or being an asshole, it's when we are training for something and following a certain program that this OCD behaviour present itself.

3) Nothing else to write really. I'm sort of feeling like I'm losing it a bit here. Feeling like I'm going to get off track. But based on records, I have done all the sessions required although not as tired. So either I'm slacking off or I'm getting a bit stronger. I think it's the former. I don't get what I'm insecure about but the feeling is there.


4) Races are piling up and the outlook for Week 11 would be interesting. How'd i juggle the trail race in Semenyih, training and family affairs. Week 12 would see me line up against other triathletes for what would be my 2nd triathlon this year after IM 70.3. Though its just an olympic distance it's going to be tough. Week 13 would hopefully see me again on the trail. I know I have to skimp on some session or risk burning myself out. But it is what it is: a race, and I'm gonna treat it that way.

No comments: