Tuesday, May 09, 2017

King of Kampung Kemensah (KOKK) 2017 Race Notes





Pre-Race 

1. Looking back, registering for this race seems reckless if I am really serious about SCKLM. Hope not. Registered for this race because it was so much fun the last time around and maybe also due to the fact I got 2nd place in the 18k category last year. Maybe a bit of both. Went for the 50km race distance this year as a tune up for TMBT and a long run for SCKLM (might prove costly).

2. 50km was hard the last time and I don't think it's ever gonna get any easier. So, few days before the race, slept early and rested a lot. I tried to anyway. Kind of glad I don't have to travel all the way to race venue to pick up the kit. Since the collection was done at Midvalley, took the chance to look/survey trail shoes on sale to replace my current one which was already kind of dodgy with its lugs almost completely gone. The sole was ripped but I got them stitched up. Still wore them race day.

Race Day

3. As far as strategy goes, I had to either take it easy all the way (easy .. haha) or try my luck near the end of the race if I had anything left. But the main thing I wanted to test out was nutrition and pacing. At GNU2017 I bonked and never recovered. I think it was mainly due to nutrition and erratic pacing. Since I have all that space in my Skinpro 10, I took 6 packet of hammer gels, about >15 salt pills, 2 snickers, two cans of red bull and plain water with me. I thought it was a bit overkill but boy, am I glad I brought em.

4. The first 10 km was fairly ok. I hold back as much as I could, but going downhill I ran a bit. I also ran a bit going uphill. The trail was muddy and slippery and I fell few times. The river crossing was refreshing and also serve to clean whatever mud was sticking to me. Got to the aid stations and there was water, 100 plus, bread and some dates. But no watermelons. I thought it might be at the next aid station. But little did I know at that time, I would only see watermelons at the finish.

5. At about halfway, which coincidently where the steepest hill was, it dawned on me that there were only dates and bread at all of these aid stations. I thought after the brutal climb, we were going to be rewarded with watermelons, oranges etc. But there were only dates, bread and 100 plus. There was one aid station with oranges though. I planned to feast myself with fruits at halfway since I have had it with dates. I wanted to also use the opportunity to ease the cramps which had slowly built up. I was feeling a bit frustrated, so I just top up my water supply, rehydrate and chatted with the volunteers a bit. After getting everything sorted, I turned for the last 20+km to get to the finish. I was 3rd at the time so I guess it was worth to "race" the last third of the race.

6. Then, came the plot twist, the aid station from then on were basically left with only water. And everything just became terribly hard from that point on. I was trading places with the 4th place guy. We chatted a bit during the climbs. I was half running/limping and was calculating my next gel/salt consumption. I was trying to avoid running on deficit. I conciously slowed down to take in food and manage the cramps. The last 10km, I only stopped briefly for water and some perskindol and manage to open a gap.

7. I tried all the tricks in the books to keep going that final kms. I told myself that if I don't run this section, the guys behind me will and eventually catch up. I also convinced myself that it's just like those hills I ran in training, except that it's not even close. I didn't bonked. Just the cramps.

8. I manage to reserve a packet of gel whereas the salt pills was finished. I was out of the woods and was 3rd. So I kind of feel like it was a done deal and if someone were to overtake me at that point, I was ok with it. I already gave it all I could. I was jogging/walking at the tarmac section and when I looked back, the 4th place guy was there. Looking solid. I guess he must've ran pretty hard and I was genuinely thinking I'm gonna get passed. I took that last gel and fortunately everything switched on. I lengthen my stride and ran for like 500m. Looked back occasionally just to make sure. I guess I was not completely ok with someone overtaking me, especially for a podium finish. Haha. Near the finish I slowed down once I realized I finally got it. The pack of 1st and 2nd place finisher was at the front all day.

Post-Race

9. Finally, watermelons. Chatted with other runners and continue chatting with the 4th place finisher Mr. Balrama. He pushed me till the end at the 18km race race last year and also this year. Went on stage to accept the awards, pictures etc. and went back home. The kids loved the hamper and I got a voucher for merrel shoes. So it was a good day for all. Well maybe not all. My wife got the laundry to contend with.

Race Notes

10. After messing up at HLTR17, arriving late etc. I had a good look at how I can be more efficient going to races. So, the section below is kind of like a simple thought process of doing a race. Can be used as a mental checksheet when registering for a race. Also good for budgeting overseas races in the future.

11. Race day kind of went like this:

4:00 AM: Wake Up, Eat & Shower
5:00 AM: Travel to venue / Subuh
6:15 AM: Sort out drop bag & warm up
6:30 AM: Race
1:30 PM: Finish Race
2:00 PM: Shower/Zohor/Post race socializing
3:30 PM: Race Awards
3:50 PM: Move to home
5:00 PM: Home

12. The race cost me:

Registration: RM180.50
Accomodation: NA
Travel to venue: 1h15min hours (Kampung Kemensah, 52 km x 2)
Travel to race kit collection: 40 mins (Midvalley Megamall, 38.2 km x 2)
Traveling cost: Conservative estimate at RM0.40/km : 180.4 km X RM0.4/km = RM72.16 ~ RM80 (plus toll)
Travel distance from parking to start line: 250m
Waiting for toilet: NA
Sorting out drop bag: No issue

13. Race Detail:

Placing (Time diff. to leader): 3/94 (+00:21:09)
Time: 6:46:36
Pace: 8:07/km
Distance: 50km
Elevation: 1492m

Race Comments

14. In total, it cost me about RM260 and a whole day to complete this race. But, for the price to race 7 hour in a beautiful dense forest, it was totally worth it.You also get 2 t shirts (awesome design) and a medal. I think a lot of emphasis is given to race goodies nowadays but I personally think services provided by race organizers are often overlooked. The volunteers who were bitten by mosquitos, having to sleep in the woods and wait for people were exceptional. Can't fault them with anything.

15. The organizers were great. Loved that it's a simple set up and have this kind of laid back feel to it. I think post race was chilled and our voices were not drowned by the music. In some races, the PA system with the music etc. can get a bit annoying. Took a bath in the toilet too.

16. Had pacat bites like 2 on my abs area and 2 on ankle. It comes with the race package, so can't complain there. Got small bit of stones in shoes. Need gaiters for sure.

17. I don't want to sound like a diva but I think the aid stations could be better stocked. I know it is hard to get stuff onto the course but the pre-race info suggested (to me at least) the aid station would be stocked with the usual. Luckily I brought some on my own. I was giving water to a runner who was worried he might not make the cut off and was running low on water. That got me thinking about other runners with still some way to go.

18. Coming from shorter trail/road racing and triathlons, it does feel a bit like an anomoly. I have however, only done 2 ultra races. So I can't exactly say in terms of aid stations, whether this was either the rule or the exception.

Final Note

19. Beautiful race but make no mistake, the course was hard. Again, cramps threaten to derail the race but kind of got it under control. I think I was also a bit lucky not to be overtaken near the end. Got 3rd place and along with it Merrel shoe voucher which I think I'm going to cash in. But to put things in perspective, a 20min+ gap with the leader plus a close finish meant there's a long way to go for me to properly execute a good 50km/1500m+gain race. The organizer probably could do better with the whole aid station but maybe I'm asking too much considering the logistics. Overall, I can't ask for more in terms of efforts put in. So all in all, it was great and will do it again.

20. Now for the 1H2017 finale! SCKLM 2017!!

2 comments:

No Surprises said...

congrats sir!

hafdzuan said...

Thank you. See you next race. Upgrade to 50 plak.