Thursday, October 13, 2016

Week 19: Peculiar

Summary of Week 19




Training Goal: Long ride @ IM effort
Personal Goal: Stay in the zone and complete as much workout as possible
Distance Covered:195.93km
Duration: 11h07m
Elevation Gain: 810m
Overall Training Completion Rate (Actual Vs Planned):
49%

Swim Time:
0h52m
Swim Distance:
2km

Bike Time:
7h57m
Bike Distance:
182km
Elevation Gain:
663m
*For indoor bike - time measurement only
**Including brick

Run Time:
1h21m
Run Distance:
11.9km
Elevation Gain:
51m
*Including brick (none this week)

Time Spent Doing Strength/Core/Stability Exercises:
0h47m
*Including rest/chit chat

Time Spent Stair Climbing (ascent):
8m48s
Elevation Gain:
96m
*Based on what was recorded

Unaccounted for
~ run drills
~ stair - descent


Training Notes for Week 19:

1) Had a meeting on Wednesday and thought about skipping the swim. However I felt like I had to do my swim some justice but the cumulative fatigue finally caught up to me that day as I got this massive headache and just felt so tired. So I was forced to take the whole day off. It was probably due anyway. By the end of the week, only one swim session was completed. Swim progress are getting worse and performance seems to follow the same downward trend.

2) Managed a tempo ride on Tuesday. Probably went a little too hard and didn't do enough in terms of nutrition. Paid for it the next day. The long ride on the other hand was suprisingly good. Maybe the lack of elevation or the weather (not too sunny) played a big part. Explored new routes too and I was in the aero position most of the time so that was good.

3) Did a recovery run on Monday. Planned to run on Wednesday but got headache so that's basically it for this week.

4) Had some family matters as well and only manage to brick on Saturday. Ran faster than I should and almost rolled my ankle. Other than that, it was ok.

Feeling Notes for Week 19:

1) I was down with a headache and I think dehydration and fatigue was the main factor. I didn't sleep well and did some pretty big workouts the past couple of weeks. I had to face the effect of all those deficit (neglected nutrition pre and post workout) in my training  that I've been accumulating. Training volume will peak around Week 21/22 and will be the biggest week yet so I better get my shit together.

2) Now, I shift my focus on getting to Langkawi (hopefully) smoothly. That means staying fit, getting my bike and also logistical matters sorted. Lately Pace/Speed is an aftertought in training as the IM simulation done couple of weeks ago provided the clearest sign of all that this shit is for real. So, I better stop dreaming about going sub-this or sub-that. Focus on getting the effort right and just let the training unfold.

3) I haven't panicked or have this anxiety attack yet so that's good. But I am feeling a bit worried about the peculiar Ironman specific things. For instance the whole transition and special needs bags. What to pack etc. I'll try to go as minimal as possible and go with the less is more concept. That way, I won't forget as many.




4) I have come to terms with missing workouts. Some days, there are just no way around it. This week completion rate was the worst BUT I'm glad/grateful weeks like this don't come too often. A half marathon next and this time the plan is to go sub-2. The last time I set an output based target (placing/timing) I screwed up big time. Eventhough the target is sub-2 but I will try and translate that to effort (process based target) which if I can manage just at high aerobic/below threshold I can probably get that sub-2 pace (around 5:40/km). Doable but felt like I can still fuck it up.

5) It's no time to rest but I will listen to my body and if I have to take it a step down, I will. No point getting to the start line burnt out.

6) 30 days to Ironman Langkawi.

No comments: