Thursday, October 25, 2018

Japan Initiation.


Let's start off with the fact that I can't commit to a weekly blogpost. So I'm going for monthly.

Here goes:

1. The day I was waiting for had finally arrived. My flight was scheduled to depart at 11:30 PM, 20 September 2018. My family member was there and it was nice having them there. It was emotional wathcing my kids dissapear from sight as I make my way to immigration.

2. At Narita Airport, we had to make a residence card at immigration. It took about an hour. But it got done and I took the bus limo to Shinjuku Station. Having been to Japan I was not that worried as I've experienced the train network there. But it was mostly subway and around town. This time I had to also take the train to Seijo Gakuen Mae which is about half an hour away. Once arrived got in a taxi and straight to dorm. I converted som RM to Yen that should conver me for about a month.

3. The single dorm room was small, as expected. I unpacked and I realized I haven't slept properly since landing. But I have planned to go check out the route to the university and I did that. I didn't want to be late on the first day. It was raining but I managed to reach the university. I thought about eating at the halal cafe but it was closed due to the midterm break. So went back and got some food at a supermarket. And sleep.

5. The entrance ceremony was really formal. A speech by the top management and a student rep also said something. It was done in English. Then the barrage of orientation. It seems I had to :
i) Register for the courses through the university system;
ii) Open up a bank account;
iii) Perform a medical check up;
iv) House/Dorm briefing;
v) Make a commuter pass/discount.
vi) Register your home address within 14 days of arriving and apply for a Certificate of Residence;
vii) Register for National Insurance;

The last two was done at the municipality. There's a lot that goes into it. A seperate post would be fitting.

6. Went running and got lost a lot. Trying to get some rhythm or routine set up. So that running and school can co exist. And also have time to connect with family back home. Got a lot of info on trail running and might try . Going to proceed with my plan to run longer and build up to 100k per week. Tokyo marathon application was rejected so I was thinking about maybe doing a marathon or 50k ultra or big day out in the mountain and a 100k race to maintain my UTMB point. Big goal is to do a 100 miler in 2 - 3 years only if I can get this 100k per week running sorted.



This post was overdue and was updated since I've arrived.

No comments: