Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The Magnificent Merapoh Trail (TMMT) 2018 100km Race Notes

Image may contain: text
The 4th edition of The Magnificent Merapoh Trail (TMMT) was held from 10th to 11th August in Kg. Merapoh, Pahang. The 2018 race saw some 800 participants from 25 countries in the three race categories - 35km, 70km and 100km. (Cut and Paste from Running Project FB).



More info here

https://www.facebook.com/runningproject/
http://www.asiatrailmaster.com/the-magnificent-merapoh-trail/
https://www.ticket2u.com.my/event/10699/the-magnificent-merapoh-trail-2018-(-tmmt-2018-)

Pre-Race

1. 3rd 100k since I switched from Triathlon to Ultras. Walked the last 50k to the finish in TMBT (1st 100k), DNFed the 2nd - Penang Eco, with less than 10k left with no real physical issues. Probably more mental than anything else really. Between all these 100k race though, I sub-4ed SCKLM which has been a goal of mine (probably gonna be my lifetime PR) and did some   less than 100k trail races including TMMT 65k last year which I finished 5th in my age (or was it gender?) group. Not bad. I knew I wanted to do a 100k here including at cultra. The latter was sold out early though.

2. I always thought sleep was a real issue. All the race I entered this year were done mostly at night to sort of see how it felt running sleep deprived - Penang Eco, 2PM start (~24hr duration) and Fraser Hill, 1 AM start (~14 hr duration). I think night running is an issue but the last night race/start (Fraser Hill) provided a glimpse of hope as mentally I was pretty positive. No major cramps etc. Slowed down a lot due to nutrition perhaps, but still, no major meltdown.

3. With that, for this race the goals were (according to priorities):
      i) Finish
     ii) Run all the runnables for the 1st 50k at whatever pace that is comfortable - A LIAR pace (*As Long I Am Running) which is essentially borderline walking.
     iii) No major cramps
     iv) At least run/shuffle/move quicker the majority of the remaining 50k to finish.
     v) Pay close attention to nutritional/body needs.

4. I was suppose to wake up, pack my stuff and head to Merapoh early Friday morning but decided to chill while catching up on some netflix. At around 10.30AM, panic a bit and rushed to Merapoh. Long story short, stopped to eat, Friday prayer, picked up kit, chat with some buddies, stroll through the expo, got dinner, packed gear, maghrib/isyak prayer and got ready for the start.



Race


5. I started at the back. Tried to be the last person. I didn't want to get caught up in someone's pace early in the race. So I imagined I had cramps and walked. I also imagined my legs were roasted and shuffle. The visualizations was so I consciously slow down and honestly it was really hard. The temptation to just run was there especially at gentle downhills and flats but I kept telling myself it was an investment for the 2nd half of the race.

6. I hiked the uphills at the Palm Oil plantation section towards CP1 like I always do except this time I took it easy. In previous races I would power hike the hills and realized later in the race that it actually took a lot of energy. Uphill was never my strong point and I accepted it, so I casually walk up the hills. At that point of the race I know I'm doing it right because people were passing me.

7. After CP1, I didn't do much except Refilled and Refueled (R&R) with a banana. I wasn't that thirsty or hungry. Kept on moving towards CP2. There were some road sections and I ran where I can at A LIAR* pace. Then I needed to poop. I did that, twice within a span of like 5 minutes. Felt better afterwards.


8. Towards CP3 and CP4, couldn't remember much what was happening maybe because it was at night and you can't see much. I remembered the sky was so full of stars and I was alone during most of the run. There were some river crossing and caves. I was trading places with the 1 and 2 female. They were just so bad ass. Just seeing them grind away and just run through what's in front of them was inspiring. I also thought about how cool it was to be able to run in a cave and crossing beautiful rivers. I was really grateful to be able to experience stuff like that. It's a pity visibility was limited cause the hidden garden caves were nice.

9. At CP4 heading to CP5, changed shirt and socks, R&R. My feet was full of sand, rocks and pebbles. This was going to be the hardest part of the course according to the profile so got my shit together. I went in feeling suprisingly good. There were some pretty steep climbs and downhills. Kept with A LIAR pace, hiked easy up hills. Destroyed my toe nails. Normal ultra stuff lol. Marking were ok eventhough I went offcourse inside a sewer and one of the marshall chased and pointed me to the right way. I was about to blame the marker only to realize the marker was there all along with the overgrown bushes but everything was monochrome and fuzzy. I could only see a few feet in front. The importance of a good lamp can't be stressed enough in this situation.

10. At CP5, heading to 6, prayed and took my time. Had some porridge. Felt ok, not that great, but everything was somewhat according to plan. 1st low point of the race because going to CP6 felt so long. The profile indicated 9km but it felt more. Had a chat with a local Merapoh runner along the way. We kept trading places but I was left eating dust afterwards. Kept grinding and made it to CP6 for R&R. My garmin also went into this infinite restart loop after I pressed the lap button. I have had this issue before and all I can say was RIP garmin.

11. Ran a bit and then suddenly CP7. CP6 and 7 was so close together and I was shocked. Didn't have my 2nd dropbag and my bottle was full. So I decided to go ahead to CP8 for nasik ayam. I was getting hungry.

12. Towards CP8, things started to slow down considerably. I was slowly getting passed by people who I've passed earlier in the race. What ever gap I had built by going through aid station ASAP meant nothing now. Mentally I hit a 2nd low. I remember like more than 20 runners from various category passed me going towards CP8. Including those who ended up on the podium. At the river section, I was also paranoid about slipping on the rocks and hurting myself. That slowed me down even more. But during these "slow" times, I had a nice chat with fellow 35k runners just having fun,feeling miserable but always with a smile. That exchange of small talks and smiles were nice, kept everything in perspective and enjoyable at least.

13. At CP8, no nasi ayam but I had durian first followed by R&R. Then I did a check up on my condition. I was still capable of A LIAR pace and walking. The hurt/numb pain still felt the same whether I was running or not. So I decided to pick it up. I had never experience this before. So far, I was always walking and feeling crappy at the end of all my 100k races. I guess the slow river wading and meeting runners helped in picking up my spirit and also my legs. So, I regrouped and ran the last 10k to CP8 faster than A LIAR pace and just hope for no major blow up. It was in a way an experiment to see how I would respond to running late in a 100k race. I even ran the gentle uphills.

14. At the finish, I was so happy with the fact I ran the majority of the last 10k faster than A LIAR pace and met all my objectives. A friend who didn't race but was there at the finish took pictures and sent them to my wife to inform her I have finished. Felt so relieved I've finished my 3rd 100k.

15. Got some nasi ayam and coconut water at race village. Went to SMK Merapoh to rinse/clean up gear. Then went to masjid merapoh near the KTM station for a quick bath and prayer. Drove back home and on the way had a quick nap at a gas station somewhere and some meals.


Race Comments


16. Finally a good end to a 100k. This was exactly how I wanted to finish a race. Enjoying the finish and not feeling sorry for myself. BUT, I didn't maintain the intensity/drive from the 1st half. Kind of slowly fading a bit towards the end. I felt like I could do better in hindsight but, I'll reserve that for the next race. A positive take away was I still have it in the end to run and probably shouldn't overthink the consequences so much. I also shouldn't have not let myself drift too comfortably into the suffering. Towards the end, suffering in an ultra is a given at any pace. Might as well run to get it overwith.  Also, you have to pay your dues in training and I haven't done so. So in fairness, the outcome pretty much reflects the training.


17. Course was good. I've written about it last year and this year, the new course was even better.  I believe it was the opposite direction from previous year. Previous runners said it was more challenging. I don't know, since I have no point of reference to confirm it.There were some road section but the majority was on trail. Runnable trail. The river section was challenging and something that kind of hard to train for. U just have to trust your shoes and get on with it. Shoes/socks are gonna get wet and an extra dry socks can come in handy.

18. What I like about this race was:

a) The aid station was well stocked with various food and liquids. No complaint here.

b) In general, marking was good. Marshalling was great as well.

c) Organization overall was good.
d) Same day REPC and race.

e) ICE COLD COKE, 100 PLUS and WATER. Even at night. Salute!
f) I don't really pay attention to the Tshirt, but their finisher Ts was nice. That ITRA point tho.

g) Finish line photo.
h) Fireworks at the start.

i) Good meal at finish.

19. There wasn't much wrong about the race. Room for improvement:

a) Profile and actual distance/elevation varies. CP6 and CP7 for instance.
b) There were part of the river section that went up chest high. At these part, a signage would be great so people could waterproof their belongings, take their packs off or whatever.

c) Maybe, there were too much food? I hope there wasn't any wastages. I don't know. Hope not.
d) Felt like the guide book could provide more info.

20. I was also inspired by the female top runners having ran some part of the course with them and witness their willpower. They were really something. They're no stereotype women. They're the kind of role model that my own lil gals could look up too. Humble, grit, perseverance. And enjoying it all at the same time. Girl power!. The male top runners were inspiring as well. But they have more exposure and I already knew they're beasts by default.

21. Speaking of inspiration, how about the mid/back of the pack runners?. One uncle dip himslef in the river and just chilled. Living and enjoying the moment. I need more of that. Run because of the joy of running not because training for a race. Also special mention to this local Merapoh guy who was running with road shoes, no fancy gears, even hand held a 1.5L mineral water and whooped my ass. Best of luck to this guy on future ultras.

22. Volunteers - was so great. Very helpful. Couldn't thank them enough. MC was cool as well. Photographers and everyone else involved in making TMMT a success. Finally, my family, wife especially, for picking up the slack with regards to day to day domestic stuff while I was training or racing.

The Race

23. Entry Fee: Early Bird, RM400.14

24. Result: 16:09:33, h:m:s

25. POsition: 20/134 overall, 18/113 gender/category

http://results.checkpointspot.asia/results.aspx?CId=17036&RId=216&EId=1

Final Note

26. This race looks to become a regular on runners calendar. Kind of like Cultra. But hopefully not too much like Cultra. Cultra's becoming a bit Ironman-ish. Cultrarian? Mugs and merchandise?. I'm cool with it, but I think it's a bit too much marketing/branding for my liking. As far as organization and race/course is concerned, Cultra (and Ironman) is great tho.

27. Keep TMMT like this, local fruits, local people involvement, ICE!, great food, unique course - it felt authentic. I got goosebumps the first time I saw the starting area. The metal bridge before the finish brings back 2017 memories. Merapoh and this race is so iconic.

28. This was my last race for the year and hopefully not the last for TMMT. I really hope, the state government/authority preserve/conserve the area. I mean not just for the sake of ultra runners, but for the people in general. I would love to one day bring my family and just chill at the river, hike and bring them caving there one day. And tell them about how I did it all in a day.

29. Gonna be a busy September. New adventure awaits! Till then.

No comments: