Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Penang Eco 100km 2018 Race Notes



https://www.facebook.com/PenangEco100/

http://endurancenature.com.my/index.php/penangeco1002018/

Exact Distance: 104.0km
Elevation Gain: 3494m D+
Cut Off Times: 30 hours

Pre-Race

1. Trained. Went and done some hill reps. No actual long run. Kept it below 2 hrs. Hoping to carry some of the SCKLM fitness. Since the race had less elevation gain than TMBT 100k, a sub 24 hour (22-23 hour) finish seems like a reasonable target.

2. Went with mom and dad. They were visiting relatives and friends near the area.

Race

3. Strategy: stay on top of things. Run easy all day. Avoid cramps until halfway. Eat as much as possible. Run at runnable section at comfortable pace.

4. Coming into CP 1 -3 : Nothing new. Ran as slow as possible. Heat zaps some energy.
CP 4: Legs felt like crap. But still running.
CP5: Walked most of it. Didn't feel that bad, had some proper meal/solid food. Overall Ok.
CP6: Suprisingly good. The hot meal helped. Rushed at CP. Didn't fuel up well for the next section.
CP7: Horrible, the climbs and descent zaps whatever energy remained. Laid at the basketball court. Couldn't eat much.
CP8: Flat but couldn't run. Ran in worser physical condition before tho. Walked all of it questioning my participation in this race. Sleep deprived setting in. Underestimated the power of sleep.
CP9: Slow but moving. Getting sick of the whole thing. Pray and poop.
CP10: Annoyed. Impatience. Wanted to stop. Saw daylight.
CP11: Stopped. With 7km and maybe 2-3 hours to finish.

Post-race

5. Declared DNF, surrender the chip and got the drop bag. Immediately got on the car and went home. Arrived at some RnR for shower and food. Slept about 3/4 on the journey home.

Race Comments

6. DNF. I was at the last CP and volunteers were trying to convince me to continue but my mind was made up. I was tired which was expected in a race like this. But I was more mentally fatigued and I think I have passed the point of diminishing return.

7. It was fun, challenging etc. at first. Then it became borderline stupid and I started questioning the reason for doing it, feeling like it's a complete waste of time. It was compounded by the fact that I needed to finish before 12:00 PM since mom and dad had checked out of the hotel. I was also frustrated by the way I was moving. The tradeoff were not that much attractive either, a medal, finisher T. I didn't race because of that, and while contemplating about DNF I felt like the remaining time seems better invested into something useful (like going home and rest).

8. Felt slight regret because it would be nice to register a time for a 100k race like this for future reference. I think finishing a 100k, ~4000m vert within the cut off is somewhat established. The mistake I made was embedding this idea in my head that there should be some improvement from my previous TMBT 100k, time wise and experience wise. There wasn't. I wanted a good race. No pity party. Just a focused, straight forward race where I did all the things that was planned. Overcoming challenges along the way. However, near the end, I spent too much time thinking about quitting and how everything sucked. I succumbed to those feelings and at that moment, it was the easiest decision I have ever made but for probably for the weakest reason. It's not physical but purely mental.

9. The race was literally divided into two parts. By design or coincidence, not sure. 1st 50k, flat, some small climbs. Ran in palm plantations, some village road section, paddy field and trail. There were some nice part in there especially when we climbed up this hill with a house on top. That was nice.

10. The second part was done in the dark and it was really tough. It was pure trail and very technical. Steep climbs and movement was slow. Highlight of the 2nd half include running out of CP 5 going to CP 6. It was beside a dam or some huge body of water before proceeding for the climbs. I felt good and confident. Upon reaching CP 7, for some stupid reason, I decided to rush and only took in few food. Restocked and went off to CP 7. The climbs got steeper and I was slowly draining energy. There were some flat section going to CP 8 but it was then that I realized I didn't have it to run. That was the acid test and I failed. Even though I was feeling crappy, I can't help but be mesmerized at these small beaming lights coming from runner's head lamps as they made their way up the hill. I felt humbled and small.

11. At CP 9, the volunteers made coffee. It was nice. I stopped for a while to pray and poop. Didn't have the appetite for anything. It's dawn and I secretly told myself that I would finish it by 12. Upon reaching CP 10, it was around 10 am, but things didn't look good. I was moving slow. I arrived at CP11 at 12:35PM and called it a day. I needed to get back home.

10. As for the race organization, it was the best I've experienced so far. I applaud them for:

a) providing dedicated drop bags;
b) real volunteers who understand the need of fatigued/half asleep runners;
c) markers were accurate;
d) choice of food was nice - watermelon and coke ftw!;
e) Large area at halfway CP for runners to take care of things;
f) pre-race information was spot on, timely and up to date;
g) Provided hotels, transport info etc.

11. I do however have to point out that some runner didn't pick up their timing device because they were not directed (REPC at race site). They can in the future have some sort of flow when picking up the REPC. I had to ask for mine. Maybe it's different during the REPC session at the hotel.

The Race

12. DNF
22:35:48
STATION DISTANCE FROM START TIME OF DAY SPEED RACE TIME
START 0 Km Sat, 02:00:00 pm - -
CP1 9.9 Km
CP2 20.1 Km Sat, 04:24:01 pm 8.37 Km/Hr 02:24:01
CP3 29.7 Km Sat, 05:44:22 pm 7.94 Km/Hr 03:44:22
CP4 42.8 Km Sat, 07:58:22 pm 7.17 Km/Hr 05:58:22
CP5 49.9 Km Sat, 09:25:26 pm 6.72 Km/Hr 07:25:26
CP6 59.7 Km Sun, 12:15:57 am 5.82 Km/Hr 10:15:57
CP7 69.8 Km Sun, 03:46:14 am 5.07 Km/Hr 13:46:14
CP8 78.4 Km Sun, 05:58:59 am 4.91 Km/Hr 15:58:59
CP9 83.8 Km Sun, 08:30:36 am 4.53 Km/Hr 18:30:36
CP10 86.9 Km Sun, 09:53:04 am 4.37 Km/Hr 19:53:04
Cp11 95.9 Km Sun, 12:35:48 pm 4.24 Km/Hr 22:35:48
FINISH 104 Km

Race Detail

13. Time: 22:35:48
Distance: 95.9 km (3,575m+)

Final note

14. Looking back, it felt so good to DNF at that time. I was desperate for some real food and sleep. Physically I was ok to continue. There were other runners in more severe conditions and they finished. But this race was about improvement and that was my main motivation. It was about still running the flats. Moving at a good pace on the climbs etc. It didn't happen and I lost all motivation.

15. I have to manage my expectation better. Just because I trained, doesn't mean things will improve. It may suck and I've identified why it did. I think the more I race, the more mistakes/experience will be revealed. So I have to live with the fact that no matter how much I prepare, shit happens and will continue to happen. You move on and learn.

16. This race seems perfect for anyone who is going for their first 100k, 50k or 30k. Challenging and well organized. Perfect combination. For 100 miles not sure.

17. Next up, fraser tri state ultra 50k. Less than a month after Eid so I'm expecting a very tough day, but hopefully no pity party.



No comments: