Monday, October 30, 2017

MPKJ Half Marathon 2017 Race Notes





The 3rd MPKj Half Marathon was held on 22 October 2017 and takes runner through Bandar Baru Bangi area. Pretty rolling hills and different route compared to previous years. Around 600+ runner participated in the men open HM category.


More info:

https://www.facebook.com/Mpkj-Half-Marathon-2017-1627464634162470/
and
https://event.howei.com/event/mpkj-half-marathon-2017

Pre-Race

1. Didn't really thought about the race after TMBT. Only got my act together a week before the race. I had been running a bit and focusing on the peripheral stuff. I did kind of ran a bit HM pace and a bit tempo in training to see what pace I could muster and kind of used that as a guide for race day.

2. Divided the race into 3 parts. 7 x 3 = 21km. Easy 1/3. Kind of hard but maintainable 2/3. Continue  with whatever left till finish (final 3rd).

3. Woke up, did routine, perform subuh prayer near parking lot. Managed to perform 10-15 warm up. Quite a warm morning. Started near the back and at 6:15 the gun went off.

Race.

4. The first 1/3 of the race was going through some pretty rolling hills. I slowed down going up but went fast going down.

5. On the 2/3 there were still hills but I was again conservative on the ups and bombed the downs. Downed a gel at 9km.

6. On the last 3rd I was cramping at exactly 15km. But wasn't fully blown. Couldn't really push it. Around 17-18km, downed another gel, grind it out and finished it.

Post-race.

7. Got the medal and finisher's tee and did some stretches. Grab the post race food but didn't feel like eating so went home and had breakfast. Went bowling afterwards with fam.

Race Notes

8. Race itenerary kind of went like this:

Sunday
05:00 AM: Wake up and breakfast
05:40 AM: Arrived and warmed up
06:15 AM: Race start
08:00 AM: Finish
09:00 AM: Went home

9. The race:

Registration: RM79.50(medal, event t and finisher t)
Accomodation: -
Travel to race kit Collection: 15 min.
Traveling cost: Negligable
Waiting for toilet: No issue
Sorting out drop bag: No issue

10. Race Detail:

1:47:33 (chip) / 1:49:07 (gun)
21km
~193m D+
26/598

Full results:
http://my1.raceresult.com/84854/results?lang=en#1_55F98C



Race Comments

11. For the price I think it's so value for money especially since I live near the area. Organizers delivered a very simple yet efficient event. Race kit collection was smooth, mini expo selling gels and stuff, ample space for parking, prayer facilites, post race food and bonus milo trucks, plenty of space to stretch, course was manned by police very well.

12. I participated last year and this year it's exactly the same arrangement. I love the consistency and to me everything was spot on. Not overly fancy. (Organizers of CIND could really take tips from this race).

13. The route was different from last year.  I think we had a bit donwhill on the way back to finish last year. This year it was just rolling till the end. I also don't know whether the route was under distanced or whether I tangent the hell out of those corners since Garmin showed I did 20+km only.

14. Anyway, this was just another race to measure current fitness and determine viable training paces. Still got the fitness from previous training/races so happy with that. Not much decline. My race was ok, close to home and fun.

15. For this race we got 2 ts. I know it's a good thing to some but I really wish organizers could make event/finishing t's and medals optional. This could cut cost and help runners reduce un-used race t-shirt.

Final Note

16. The race was great and arrangements was good. Also good to see my fitness still there. I can use this race as a platform to build on. That's it for 2017. Next race would be GNU 2018. Til then.

No comments: