Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Week 17: Doing Things

Summary of Week 17




Training Goal: Maintain realistic Ironman pace on rides
Personal Goal: Complete big week - longest/highest ride on the TT bike and longest/highest run
Distance Covered:172.05km
Duration: 18h16m
Elevation Gain: 2788m
Overall Training Completion Rate (Actual Vs Planned):
94.4%

Swim Time:
1h58m
Swim Distance:
4.7km

Bike Time:
9h12m
Bike Distance:
117.9km
Elevation Gain:
1287m
*For indoor bike - time measurement only
**Including brick

Run Time:
5h15m
Run Distance:
49.45km
Elevation Gain:
1357m
*Including brick (none this week)

Time Spent Doing Strength/Core/Stability Exercises:
1h52m
*Including rest/chit chat

Time Spent Stair Climbing (ascent):
14m11s
Elevation Gain:
144m
*Based on what was recorded

Unaccounted for
~ run drills
~ stair - descent



Training Notes for Week 17:

1) Swim was desperate as expected. Just did the main set on Monday and that was it. Had to move the second session to Thursday since I had a meeting on Wednesday which meant I had to swim on Friday to complete all the scheduled swims. On Thursday, had about one hour, so manage only about 1.1km on Thursday before rushing to KL for an event. Manage to squeeze in lunch somewhere in there and it was that desperate to get the swim done. Did half hour on Friday and skipped the cool down.

2) The long ride was ok. The traffic was calmer considering its the weekdays. There were some crazy elevation so it is by default going to be tough. I didn't have to worry about pushing the intensity because I'm gonna get it. About 5 hours with no gels and felt fine. Had a big breakfast, some dates, 2 bottle of gatorade and it was all good. Lost a water bottle during one of the descend. It was too dangerous too stop so I just have to deal with losing a bottle. Luckily I was quite ok in terms of nutrition/hydration. The spin bike session went as planned. Did a tempo ride and used the warm up and cool down to catch up on Scott Jurek's Eat and Run book. Also a steady state ride to finish off this week's bike workout.

3) The first 18 minute of the tempo run went well. Maybe I went a little too fast, so exploring the right pace would be something I need to start doing as tempo duration gets longer. The recovery run on Saturday was used to recce some trail route near my housing area and of course the 33km long run/race/training/LSD on Sunday. More of that in Race Notes.

4) Midweek brick means spin bike and run as usual. Again, seem to always somehow push the pace up whenever running after the bike. Don't know why but probably because the leg was still in sync with the bike cadence. But, manage to hold it for about 5km so that was good.

5) Did 2 core session and 1 stability session with stretches.

Feeling Notes for Week 17:

1) I am feeling fit. My definition of fit is not fit for a workout but fit after a workout. I feel that If I can survive a big workout and can go on and perform another workout the next day, I fit the definition. I seem to spent less time feeling immobile after a workout and feel I can still push through the fatigue. The mind significantly influences how we feel. My perception had probably altered as I got use to working out with sore muscles. However, the long run/race on Sunday was a bit too much and I am still feeling the after effect 2 days later (Delayed On Set Muscle Soreness).

2) Notwithstanding the fitness gained, I am a bit overwhelmed with training as volume picks up. I've never done so much training before. My wife openly said that this training is starting to bug her. It also got a bit depressed on Thursday as I was having a sub sandwich in the pool's basement carpark alone. And I was rushing too since I got to be in KL and I had like 30 minutes to get there. Don't know whether I'm depressed about having lunch like that or because I had to cut my swim workout short . Probably both. But sometime you just do things and trust it will somehow work out.

3) Logistics still need some sorting out. Got a place to stay at Langkawi. Now just the ferry to sort out and to estimate how much I need for the trip.

4) I'm feeling insecure about the race. Especially with the fact that I'm expecting a baby and also other things outside my control. I have to play by the ear and take it as it comes for the things I have no control over.

5) When I stop and look back, this has been quite a journey if I am to be honest. But I have to look forward and keep going until all of this is over.

Race Notes for Week 17:

1) The idea was that I would use this race as a training run. A LSD or a really long run to log in some mileage with proper hydration/nutrition in place. If I had to do an LSD on my own, nutrition/hydration would be a hassle so this race was perfect. Its also about a month+ before Ironman. It was the furthest I had ever ran since some time. The last probably was the Newton 30km race. Can't remember when was that. So the main objectives were to remain aerobic, fuel well and run as much as I can considering the distance and also the 1300+m of ascent i had to do.

2) I didn't sleep early but I think I slept enough and ok. The race site was close to home so I manage to go through the whole pre-race ritual at home before heading off to the race site. No real rush. Arrived and met with running friends and chat some. Didn't warm up particularly well/at all but decided I will properly run after my hear rate stabilizes and everything warmed up.

3) The race itself was very simple/minimal but had every basic thing a race should have, which I prefer. Except for timing chips. All runners seems cheerful and some looked determined. I didn't feel nervous at all. The weather was perfect and it would later continue throughout the race.  As soon as the race started I could see an array of hydration packs on most runner's which is totally different from road races where most rely on hydration from aid stations. I'm intrigued by that because there are so many ways you can carry hydration and other stuff which was cool. The beginning part of the race was on tarmac and slowly the gradient picks up and before we know it, the climb started.

4) For about 15km, I ran the hills until max heart rate limit was achieved. Then I would walk until it reaches the lower heart rate limit. I did that basically through out and it worked quite well. I do prefer having a more steady heart rate but the elevation didn't allow it. Legs were fine and I ran whenever I can. Everything was going according to plan. After a while runners thinned a little and I was running mostly by myself. I was passed few times and decided not to follow. The first aid station was a relief. Had bananas and watermelon, isotonic and water. This would be my nutrition protocol for the rest of the race. I tucked in some bananas to eat during climbs and to distract my mind from feeling like crap.

5) It got harder after 20km. The climb seems endless. And when we weren't climbing, the descend was like going down to oblivion. It was long and steep. After few times of going up and down, the lack of running mileage caught up. I didn't panicked as I expected this to happen. I got cramps, my legs were sore and felt like noodle. At this point I was walking most the hills and only ran downhill. I took gels and salt pills in between aid stations.

6) The good thing though, was I was able to run downhill so time was gained there. Stretching releases the cramp a bit. The cramps were also manageable as long as I didn't push anything. Before the race, I did thought about pushing the last few kms and that was now out of the question. The cramps/soreness didn't get any worse so I just moved along. Upon reaching an aid station, the complication completely went away. After a few minutes of feeling good it would come back and this was the theme for the last part of the race.

7) I can't remember any specific thing about the race but I do remember the final km. It was down hill, not that steep and I didn't feel any cramps. I thought at that time it was probably the nutrition kicking in. I'm on a downhill tarmac with about less than 3 km to go and saw a runner in front of me. So I picked up my speed with the hope of passing him. Lengthening the stride didn't work particularly well as it induces cramps so I picked the cadence up. After a few minutes I got this really nasty cramps. I walked and it didn't subside. So I stopped and started stretching. I looked back and there was 2 runners charging down.

8) I got two options, I could just let them pass and accept that is a training run and it was. It's not important how I place as long as I got the mileage in. The other option is to suck it up and just run towards the finish line as I only have like 1 km to go at that moment. I've been reading Eat and Run by Scott Jurek and I remembered a quote from the book. "Sometimes you just do things". Don't ask why, just do it. So I ran with the cramps. It was hurting but I know I can run with cramps. I also know those guys must be hurting too. When I reached the finish line I had a little gap and I decided to walk to the finish line. The people there were urging me to run. I think I walked because I was relieved and happy not so much about being tired. It was a long day.

9) I got my medal, the finisher T, and also a 7th place placing card. It was a total suprise since it's not everyday you go out training and get to receive a prize so I was elated. Waited for other running friends to arrive, chatted and just chill out. Got my prize and went back home for some food and rest.




10) This race was perfect for my run preparation in Langkawi. Some positive take aways:


  • I was >90% aerobic and was running the last part of the race. So from my logic, if I can maintain the same effort minus the crazy elevation during the Ironman I can probably run more than walk;
  • I ate like a ton on Saturday as I was celebrating my birthday. It paid dividens as I didn't feel hungry at all during the entire race eventhough I had a simple breakfast. Fueling during the run was also ok with no stomach issues. Nutrition was kept simple during the race and it worked;
  •  Being hunted down meant I had to force my way through pain. I also trusted my capacity to finish the distance if I was disciplined enough to hold back which I did. It's also good to know the training is paying off. There's no way I can push my body like I did on normal training runs. So the psychological gains was priceless; and
  • I enjoyed the race and it went great. The last part of a running tip or any race tip would always say to enjoy the race. By enjoying the race, I believe our body tends to relax more. It also facilitate having a positive mind. This probably leads to less energy consumption and perception to fatigue/pain. Maybe, I'm not really sure and not an expert on the subject, but I strongly feel it's an important piece of the puzzle.


11) Things I need to work on is pretty clear. More run mileage is needed but I think I probably have enough to complete the Ironman marathon. Another thing is strength. The top runners seems to be running non stop. I probably have the aerobic capacity but lack leg strength. Being a good runner require both to sustain longer and higher effort on the run.

12) I did the race in 4h3m. It was a good race, simple, well organized with great markers. The volunteers at aid stations were awesome. The organizers were great. The route was not as scenic as previous trail runs race I've done but the challenge did it for me. Having timing chip would be better but I got what I wanted from this race and more. The race was close to home as well. Overall it was pretty good. I'll definetely do it again.

13) As far as training is concerned, this would be my final longest run. I don't think I can gain a lot during the remaining weeks of training but I'm sure this race did my run a lot of good. More simulation to follow with the tadonamo IM simulation (2km, 120km, 10km - swim, bike and run respectively). And also a half marathon to get some speed in and at the same time to hopefully go sub 2 hr.

14) 46 days to Ironman Langkawi.

No comments: